Michael Jordan might be the greatest basketball player of all time. In 1986-87, he had one of the most prolific scoring seasons in NBA history, scoring over 3,000 points. But from 1987-1990 Jordan had an Achilles heel, the Pistons. The Bulls met and lost to the Pistons in the Playoffs for three consecutive seasons. All that changed in the 1990-1991 season when the Bulls beat the Pistons in a surprising sweep. So what do Jordan and the Bulls have to do with IE?

Let me explain.

Some say that a part of the Bull’s success is because Jordan changed from an individual on a team to a player leading a team. And if there’s one thing you should know about IE, is that it loves group work.

Group work is synonymous with class work.

But with people from all around the world working together in stressful environments, sometimes this doesn’t always go down so well; expect possible conflicts, and expect a lot of them. True, you might be blessed with a group with none at all, like vultures on diets eager to share, but chances are slim. You’re more likely to find yourself in a group where someone or several people have completely different working styles compared to your own. When you want to go “left”, some might want to go “right”, and vice versa. However, together you have to figure out how to go straight which often is easier said than done.

But it’s a great way to learn for all. “Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.”

I think the two most important things I have learned so far are:

1. It’s important to become friends with the people in your group

Sound silly? It’s not. You’re far more willing to go the extra mile on a group project for someone you consider a friend; and you’re also far more likely to actually pay attention to what they have to say.

1. Just because you think you are right, it doesn’t mean they’re wrong

As I see it for now, group work isn’t about proving who’s right and who’s wrong. It’s about getting the job done the best way possible; and although I might sound like I know exactly what I’m talking about, I assure you, I don’t; I’m still learning, a lot.

Some might say that IE gives it too much credit and puts too much focus on group work. I disagree; because if you can’t figure out how to work in a group when only your grades are on the line, how will you fare when you graduate and your job is on the line?

Group work, hate it or love it?

The most important thing is to make sure you learn from it.

Kind regards,

Charles Oben

72 thoughts on “Group Work – Hate It Or Love It?

1. Pingback: rabaty
  2. Pingback: styczen
  3. Pingback: styczen
  4. myweightloss.tips

Thank you for this very informative post. I agree that group work presents possible conflicts because of diverse personality and working style of each member. However, these problems can be avoided through effective leadership. By the way, I really love this phrase, “Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.”

5. Jack

New Year is arriving very soon and I would like to wish all readers a very Happy Christmas and New Year 2015 in advance.

Happy New Year 2015 Photos

6. inderjeet signh

New Year is arriving very soon and I would like to wish all readers a very Happy Christmas and New Year 2015 in advance. –
    Mdu rohtak latest result

7. Paul

i love group work Lite 1.4

8. Certainly group work rocks!
    note 5

9. I wish I could join a business school !!

10. Awesome Article

11. Hey are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog
    world but I’m trying to get started and create my own. Do you require any
    html coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!

12. Of course I love team work or group work, because of productivity.
    In my headquarter I encourage my employees to work as a team, some times I choose some motivational quotes to improve their morale.

13. raj

group work i love it.

14. this is heart it

15. Love it your group

16. Friendship Day

Thanks combination of suitable and useful information and well-written sentences that will certainly entice your sense.There are so multiple comments here that are really entertaining and conducive to me thanks for sharing

Happy Friendship Day 2015

17. Friendship Day Pics 2015

Thanks for sharing this great read with us….

Friendship Day Quotes

18. Friendship Day 2015

This may be one of the best sites i have ever visited,the articles here are very educative and informative.

Friendship Day Images

19. Thanks for sharing interesting message for supporters because those people always wait for this.

Param
    VPS Hosting India

20. Today’s at least one semester, students get stuck with the dreaded group project. In this post you’ve shared lot of information. Keep sharing more.

21. NICE POST

22. THANKS FOR THIS RELEVANT POST, KEEP POSTING

23. This post is really inspiring and useful for all readers.

24. Thanks for the author posting such an interesting post. Highly recommend to everyone. Thanks for sharing.

25. Thanks for the author posting such an interesting post. Highly recommend to everyone. Thanks for sharing.

Obviously I love to Work in A group If the Group is awesome.

TheTruthSpy Review
    Whatsapp Hacking Tricks

26. Nice looking site.really appreciate for it and It is also useful for me.Thank you for sharing.Romantic Quotes

27. Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your site is so cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this blog. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for more articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found simply the information I already searched everywhere and simply couldn’t come across. What a great site.

28. Thanks for the marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.I will always bookmark your blog and will come back someday. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great job, have a nice holiday weekend!

29. Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after
    browsing through many of the articles I realized it’s new to me.
    Nonetheless, I’m certainly delighted I found it and I’ll be
    bookmarking it and checking back frequently!

30. I’m keen on ones write-up. It truly is beneficial to discover people verbalize on the cardiovascular system in addition to understanding within this significant theme is usually simply discovered. Guidance check out web page